This recipe has been my go-to classic hummus for years. It’s really easy to prepare, it has the perfect ratio of ingredients, and it is super smooth, fresh, and creamy. The bright lemon flavor, the little kick from the garlic cloves, and the complexity of the Tahini make for a perfect match made in heaven! Enjoy it with fresh veggies, spread it on a sandwich, add a big scoop on top of a green salad, or my favorite way to enjoy this hummus: Top it with loads of fresh chopped veggies and scoop it up with corn chips or oven-baked pita bread!
- one can of organic chickpeas (398ml)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons good quality organic Tahini
- 4 tablespoons warm water (sometimes a bit more for consistency)
- salt and pepper
- pinch of hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Start by rinsing your chickpeas under cold water and take the skin off. NOTE: You can definitely do this hummus recipe with the skin on the chickpeas, but the extra 10 minutes of work is REALLY worth it if you want your hummus to be SUPER smooth! (It’s also a great way to have the kids help out, my boys all love doing this task for some reason!)
In a high-speed blender (or food processor), place the chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic cloves, tahini, salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes (if using) and start blending.
Start adding water as needed to blend, and to reach your desired consistency. Use the blender stick to help combine the ingredients until very smooth.
Transfer to a serving plate, top with your favorite garnishes (chopped veggies, drizzled olive oil, pine nuts, fresh herbs…) and serve with corn chips, warm pita, and loads of veggies.
SHOP THE POST